Sunday, May 20

The Miracle of Forgiveness

Since I have changed wards I knew it was only going to be a matter of time before I would be called to give a talk.  Little did I know that I would be the concluding speaker with 25 minutes instead of 10-13 that I was planning on.  It was an interesting topic, especially considering I have not read the book.  After much pondering and thinking, this is an adaptation of the talk I delivered today in church. 

(Funny note, I gave a talk on Sunday May 22, 2011.  I guess I have a thing for May...)

---

In Luke, chapter 15, we read of the Prodigal Son in verses 11-32.   As we read we learn a man has 2 sons.  The younger son took his inheritance early and went to try his way with the world.  We read starting in verse 13 “not many days after the younger son gather all together… and … wasted his substance with riotous living…. And he began to be in want.”  I think this is an important point often glanced over; the younger son realized his mistake and tried to correct it.  He hired on, became a farm hand and economized to the point he became malnourished and weak.  When all his efforts failed, said the son, “How many hired servants of my father’s have bread enough and to spare, and I perish with hunger!  I will arise and go to my father, and say unto him, Father, I have sinned against heave, and before thee.  And am no more worthy to be called thy son:  make me as one of thy hired servants.”  He arose and did just that.

There are multiple times in a day/week/life when we need the “Miracle of Forgiveness”.   We need assistance from our Father in Heaven to reach out, lift us up.  The parable continues.  The father “saw him [the Prodigal Son] and had compassion, and ran, and fell on his neck, and kissed him.”  The best robes and shoes were placed upon the son, rings upon his hand, and a celebration was held in his honor.  The Savior understands we will make mistakes and provided the atonement to bring us back to him. 

Mistakes, or transgressions, are easier to commit that what I care to admit.  Culinary School thought me this well.  No longer do I make chocolate sculptures; no longer do I attempt confectionery work.  Sugar blowing up on me the first time should have been the first hint, but no, try 10+ times and scars on my hands to prove my lack of skill.  Although, I have never more enjoyed literally eating my mistakes.  Relatively, I find it is easy to admit my mistake, ask for forgiveness, and feel better when the atonement perfecting my life.  Repentance cleanses the soul.  It is something I long for and seek after.

Pondering upon the idea of the Miracle of Forgiveness, I have been really focused upon that miracle.  What is the miracle, what is it defined?  I feel it is something more felt and understood than clearly defined.  From that I actually started wondering if my forgiveness is not a miracle.  How hard is it  when I, who has done nothing wrong and/or was attacked to forgive.  it's personal and emotional.  Going back to the parable, the older son was angry when he learned of his brother’s return and the celebration.  His anger was enough to keep him from attending the party.  The older son said, “These many years do I serve thee, neither transgressed I at any time thy commandment: and yet thou never gavest me a kid, that I might make merry with my friends.  But as soon as this thy son was come, which hath devoured thy living with harlots, though hast killed for him the fatted calf.”  How many times are we the ninety and nine?   

Imagine there is a youth in our ward, let’s call him Kevin.  (And if there is a Kevin in the ward, I am not meaning you or inferring this is you!)  The youth are a tight knit bunch of friends.  As high school progresses he makes a couple of mistakes which leads to other larger mistakes.  Kevin is now inactive, but still friends with the youth.  His fun ways and seemingly consequence free life attracts other youth in the ward to follow his lead.  One of those that has fallen away is you son, your daughter.  A few years have passed.  Kevin has moved back to the ward with his beautiful wife (which was sealed to him in the temple) and baby boy and has been called to be your Sunday School teacher.  How hard will it be to watch this young man and learn from him when all you can see is your child, and this should have been your child teaching the Sunday School lesson? 

Elder Neal A. Maxwell stated in the October 1991 Conference, “We cannot repent for someone else.  But we can forgive someone else, refusing to hold hostage those whom the Lord seeks to set free.”  It is easy to hold a grudge and to feel offended.  There are many times when it can even be justified.  But the greater lesson is actually to learn how to become like our Savior.  Scripture Mastery time, D&C 64: 9-11, “Wherefore, I say unto you, that ye ought to forgive one another; for he that forgiveth not his brother his trespasses standeth condemned before the Lord; for there remaineth in him the greater sin.  I the Lord will forgive whom I will forgive, but of you it is required to forgive all men.   And ye ought to say in your hearts – let God judge between me and then and judge thee according to thy deeds.”  Tough words.  Easy to say, to memorize, but to put into practice… 

In the Teaching of Presidents of the Church: Spencer W. Kimball, he declares, “… the spirit of humility [is] in the soul of man and makes him contrite of heart and submissive to the will of God.”  And this is accomplished by repentance.  “Repentance is the key to forgiveness.  It opens the door to happiness and peace and points the way to salvation in the kingdom of God.”    When we refuse to offer our forgiveness we are standing in spiritual judgment, preventing our offender his opportunity to fully repent.  This creates contention and “…he that hath the spirit of contention is not of me, but is of the devil, who is the father of contention , and he stirreth up the hearts of men to contend with anger, one with another. [3rd Nephi 11:29]”   I think this may be one of the reasons why the Lord boldly declares the greater sin.   The Lord desires us to become a righteous and happy people.  “And the Lord called his people ZION [“for this is Zion - the pure in heart (D&C 97:21)”], because they were of one heart and one mind, and dwelt in righteousness;… [Moses 7:18]”.   The Lord has already laid out the cause and effect for us to obtain.  The cause: a people in righteous, of 1 heart and mind.  The effect, they were called ZION, they were pure in heart.

This, in my opinion, is the miracle that is found in forgiveness.  Spencer W. Kimball continues in the same lesson, “The essence of the miracle of forgiveness is that it brings peace to the previously anxious, relentless, frustrated, perhaps tormented soul.  In a world of turmoil and contention this is indeed a priceless gift.” 
This weekend I spent time with a dear friend from back home whom I have known for 15 years.  We went caving and came into contact with a master caver.  He took us around a commercial cave and showed us the complete darkness.  I did not want to believe, thinking I could be better.  Even though I knew I was in complete darkness I still tried to wave my hand in front of my face and willed myself to see my hand.  I then also quickly looked around and would see flashes of color, red in particular.  Again making myself believe that I could see and not be in complete darkness.  Forgiveness is the same way.  When in the depths of the emotions and feeling we are in the complete darkness and tricking ourselve that we actually can see.  The master caver made sure we knew the 2 cardinal rules.  1st is to let no less than 3 people the exact time of entry and where entered from.  The 2nd is to bring not only a head lamp, but flash light, and a bunch of candles.  While in complete darkness, wait approximately 20 minutes to allow the eye to completely be use to the conditions.  Then light 1 candle.  We know what little light a candle gives.  It's very limited in scope and the clarity is poor.  But, after being in the depths of darkness for so long, 1 little candle will be a rising sun and the light would completely flood the cave.  So to with forgiveness.  It takes only a little amount of light to see what is available and stop looking for light that is not there, to stop chasing after false leads.  That little light, now much dearer than before, shows the possibilities and what is available.
Isaiah 32: 17-18 is a favorite scripture of mine, “And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.  And my people shall dwell in peaceable habitations, and in sure dwellings, and in quiet resting places.”  In today’s world this is a difficult place to find, therefore all the more desirable and precious when found.  Necessarily, peace is a personal acquisition.  This is one of the reasons why I love hiking and camping.  It allows for a chance to me to be in Nature, away from the business of the world and be in awe of God’s creations.  I have a chance to meditate and commune with God and praise him for the blessings I am given:  to have the guarantee that my righteousness is rewarded with peace and quiet for forever. 

As we consider repentance and forgiveness, may we keep in mind the miracle the Lord has offered us as he makes us into the righteous people he desires.  Going back to the parable of the Prodigal Son, I want to conclude with the loving words of the father, who symbolizes our Father, “Son, thou art ever with me, and all that I have is thine.”   I am one of the ninety and nine.

No comments:

Post a Comment