Thursday, September 11

On a day of remembrance, I have another reason to remember, and smile.

September 11, 2001. It is this generations December 7, 1941.  Anyone alive, that was old enough to realize what was going on, will tell you exactly where they were and what they were doing when they learned the United States of America had been attacked on our own home land.  It is a day that completely changed our country, forever.

Grandpa Great (Howard Gitchell) with baby Jamie just
prior to his death in 1988.
While that is significant and every year I do pause to remember, this date has lived in my family's history many years before.

September 11, 1988, the world lost a gentle giant.  A man that brought up a family that was tight and truly exemplified what it means to be family and how to act as a family.  Howard Gitchell, my great grandfather, passed away today, 26 years ago.  While I was not very old and my memories are few, I am amazed at how much I do think of my grandfather and how much I respect this man.  I am grateful I was old enough to know grandpa, to sit in his home and have meals and holidays together.

Thank you Grandpa for the strong influence you have had in my life.  I hope that I will be able to lead a life that is like yours.  Where the circle of my influence, however small it is, be as warmly remembered.  That the influence be profound in the ways that count: integrity, faith, family, and love.


No comments:

Post a Comment