Monday, September 19

The Blanket for Baby Ben

I have been waiting for the next blog for this moment...  This!


Yeah, very bad picture, but you can see what I have been able to create!  Here is the story behind the blanket.

When my brother and sister-in-law announced they were going to have a baby last year, about this time, I was super excited for them.  For my closest friends I crochet a baby blanket for their first child and this is for all of their children due to how much time it takes to create one for each child, especially since the stereotype Mormon family has many children.  Now, I am blessed to make a blanket for my first niece/nephew.

I started working on a blanket to try and be super aunt, came up with my own pattern.  I kept trying to make it work, and it was not coming together.  Several months later, I recognized defeat and found a pattern to use and work.  While making this blanket, I was also working on the Christmas stockings, mentioned last month.

I really love this pattern.  It takes the traditional shells people like to use for baby blankets but changes the look slightly by also adding the blocks.  This helped with the small goals each row to help the blanket seem to come together more quickly.  The individual squares are fun, almost a granny look, without a granny concept and having to sew everything together. 


Oh, and the favorite part, the blanket is super soft.  I almost wish it were mine.  Interestingly, I have made countless blankets for others, but I have not kept one for me.  When friend's and family stop having children, I'll look into making a blanket for me, which is something I don't foresee happening anytime soon, if ever!

So, thank you baby Ben.  I am EXCITED to have finished this blanket for your sweet little self.  I have not completed a blanket before with out a mistake, and this one is the very first.  I am so excited to actually hand this to you (instead of by mail which I was originally going to do) in about 2 weeks.  Now, the only thing is to not use it prior to handing it to you.  Yes, I am that excited about this blanket and love it that much. 

No comments:

Post a Comment