This weekend Tina, the lady that is kind enough to let me stay in her home, was going to have her family over for dinner. She's always making them huge and extravagant dinners. So, I said I could help this time, especially since they were going to spend the evening with their mother. I completely spaced that Tina and her family were going to see her mom, so I was working to have dinner ready around 5:30-6:00 pm. I was taking my time and just really enjoying being back in my element. Then I realized that dinner would not be until around 8:00 pm. Yeah, felt really smart.
But, I came up with my own mix of a chicken and corn chowder, and it was REALLY good! I love experimenting and sad to say things don't always work out, but glad this did!!!! My sister Jamie and I were texting all night about different recipes we were working on and promised her my recipe, which I did not really have and had to rethink everything that I did. So, here goes:
Chicken and Corn and BACON Soup (yeah, that's right, bacon!)
6 lbs chicken (yeah, it was a big batch I made)
1 stalk celery
1 carrot
1 onion
2 sprigs thyme
Take the chicken out of the stock pot and cut up into bite sized pieces. Remove the stock and set aside - will be used again later.
While the chicken is cooking, chop up some veggies! (I did everything as a small dice)
5 russet potatoes
5 stalks of celery
1 red onion
2 red peppers (because I do not like the taste of green peppers)
8 ears of corn or 2 bags of frozen corn
5 carrots
Take about 1/2 lbs of bacon and fry in your stock pot. Fry until the bacon is crispy and the fat has been rendered. Remove the bacon and slice into bite sized pieces. Save, because this will be used again later.
Add in apx 5-6 cups of the broth and the leaves from 2-3 more sprigs of thyme. Boil the soup until the veggies are finished cooking. Add in the chicken and bacon and add 2-3 cups of cream and continue to boil for a few more minutes. At this point you can serve as a soup or add a roux to thicken the soup to make it more chowder like. Salt and pepper to taste. Garnish with thyme.
Either way, the soup is very colorful, hardy, and tastes great. I also like how aromatic the soup is. I paired the soup up with some crescent rolls and for dessert served molten chocolate lava cakes and vanilla bean ice cream. I think my dress size went up due to how much I had to eat!
James, you'll have to tell me how this works out for you, if you decide to try it out!
No comments:
Post a Comment