Tuesday, February 4

Many, many thanks for Project Warmth

For several years now I have been working and giving away scarves during the winter season.  Each year I have been able to do a little more than the year before.  Then 2 years ago a great blessing in the form of my dear friend Kara started working with me on my project of providing warm scarves at the Christmas season.  Thanks to her hard work and putting the word out there, this past year another group of young women contributed and added to our numbers.

Each year I go out and teach the basic of crocheting.  The best way to teach to crochet I have learned is by teaching on scarves.  Many basics come out and the project grows quickly thus bringing fundamentals together often.  It is a great and fun way to pass along a skill. 

Some of the donated scarves given away in 2013.
This year Kara and I set the goal for 100 Scarves.  It seemed daunting, especially since Kara and I knew that we would most likely be doing the entire project ourselves.  We were just shy, but barely.  It was a good goal considering again that Kara and I were making so many scarves, basically 1 a week!  (Well, more than that because we donated them at the beginning of December.) 

Normally a need manifests itself to us and we are able donate the scarves to that cause.  The year before was Hurricane Sandy through the different groups we knew going up north to assist through Mormon Helping Hands.  This year there was no immediate need which caught our eyes, which I do consider a blessing.  So, I was able to go to a local fire department and handed provided the scarves to them and asked that they be given as part of the Christmas and charity events they participated in.

I think that I will officially call this yearly goal Project Warmth.  While it is not hats and blankets, it is something that shows love as each scarf is made by hand.  Warm a person both literally and figuratively. 

Again I want to offer my many, many thanks to Kara.  She is what truly made last years project possible.  With her kind heart and hands, she was able to help make this project a success and helped many, many people stay warm this winter.

I send this invitation up for anyone is Baltimore and Washington, DC.  If you wish to learn how to crochet I would love to come to your home and teach you.  Or if anyone would like to help with this year's donation (I normally give out the scarves the first week of December) I would be more than happy to come to you and pick them up.  I hope that this coming year we can be just as successful as this year.

1 comment:

  1. This is so awesome! Thanks for taking a pic of all the scarves. What is our goal for this year? I'm already behind.

    ReplyDelete