Saturday, March 1

Guide to Dinning Alone

I thought that this would be a funny way to combine my love affair with food - but also provide great advice.

Let's face it.  No matter what our station, no matter who we are, at some point a you and I will be dinning alone.  Some people it is terrifying and cannot be done.  Other's own it.  Why is it so hard, or a stigma, about going out to eat alone?  I actually quite enjoy it.  So, let me shed some of my wisdom that has helped me cultivate this skill.

1.) Don't be afraid to sit at the bar!
This is an amazingly great opportunity for those that need companionship for the times that companionship is still desirable.  Think of it like an airplane.  Some people are going to be stand offish and stay by themselves.  But there are always people that would like who want to be social.  What's great is that the bar tends to get service just a little bit faster than table service, your water is instantly filled.  Also, sometimes the prices at the bar can be better than that at  the table!  If you are unsure of this, may I suggest trying it out in stages.  For example, while passing through an airport go to the bar instead of a small table.  Airports are mostly filled with people who are traveling by themselves (i.e. you will not be the only other person alone and is therefore more socially acceptable) and try it out.

2.)  For the novice going out alone, try a place that is also an internet hot spot (i.e. Panera).  This is like the grown up, non emo/hipster, version of a college hang out.  This will allow you to bring your tablet and connect to the internet and look like all the other professionals that are there, but not wanting to be hoped up on coffee all day.  Grab an overpriced (but delicious) sandwich and soup and check up on your Facebook or blog readings.  But just remember to not go in during high peak times (meaning lunch) when there is a 30 minute max time on their internet.

3.) Ok, we're getting there.  We're starting to become a little more use to going to dinner on our own.  Now, to kick it up another notch - go to a restaurant without a techy gadget.  But for those still nervous, go to a local sports bar during the big game.  Perfect time!  Loud, noisy.  Everyone is in everyone's conversation.  You may go by yourself, but by the end of the night you will be best friends with 50 other people of who you will know none of their names.  It's the perfect time to get your fill on sliders, fried foods, and a cold beer of the root variety (preferably with a scoop of ice cream - which will open up conversations of their own that are great to own).

4.)  Now that we have learned it is socially acceptable to go by ourselves to a restaurant, and have mastered the art of hiding behind false techy reasons, and become comfortable with just being ourselves, venture out to the nice places.  I personally prefer the outside edges of a restaurant.  This allows me to people watch easily.  I also try to grab a table near a window so I can see the lights turn on in the city and enjoy the landscape.  I enjoy watching people and making up their stories or I grab a book (yes, a real book and not a device which happens to have a digital copy of a book) and enjoy a story.  This phase is great when comfortable and mastered.  You can go and be exotic in your choices and get that dish that is maybe a little more extreme than the people in your usual group would like to do.  It's freedom for an hour, maybe two, that is quite great.  And the best part, hardly anyone pays attention to you because they are too busy with their group.  YOU are the one watching THEM.

Now, don't get me wrong.  I LOVE going out with friends and enjoying their company.  They provide the fun moments to talk about when you are together.  I wouldn't give up that time.  However, when the opportunity arises for me to go out on my own, I own it.  I enjoy it.  I go for the out of the way hole in the wall or save up and go to a place I have longed to try.

No comments:

Post a Comment