The one thing that I absolutely love about my birthday, is the contact that I get with my family and the one on one time with them. Another highlight - all the family members back home call to sing "Happy Birthday".
This year, did not disappoint. I was in church meetings - Ward Missionary Correlation - when mom and dad try to face time me. I declined, because I was in a meeting. I text them back quickly letting them know I'll be out in about 20 minutes, but the calls keep coming. On the 4th time they call, I'm concerned thinking something must be wrong for the constant call. I answer, and I get my birthday song! They tease me saying I should bring the phone into the meeting so they can embarrass me. I asked them if they were serious, they said yes, so I walk back into the room and they sing for me! One of the missionaries sitting there actually started singing with them. It was fun. I think they were more shocked and embarrassed than I was!
Throughout the day, I get a call or text from all of my siblings, except for Zack, who understandable is on his mission. Zack, however, on his weekly e-mail tells me happy birthday multiple times. Jamie and I make plans to watch a movie on Netflix together while we have our phones open on speaker so it's like we are there together. (This is one of my favorite things to do.) Adam leaves me a voice mail. I face time with Nick and Marsha and watch their kids play. It's a great birthday. And Mary, she leaves me a sweet tribute on Facebook. And Grandpa makes it sweeter. How can one not feel blessed with such amazing family? (And please note, this was not small feat for me with piecing together the post. But I made it work and I am PROUD of my computer skills.)
Since my birthday was on a Sunday this year and with the conflicts of different church times and meetings, we celebrated the day on Saturday. And BOY was it epic!!! We, Uncle Mike, Uncle Mike's new side kick Kyle, and Tina went on the Maryland Ice Cream Trail. I don't think that there is a better trail created in the world than an ICE CREAM TRAIL! So, with our passports armed and ready, we set off going to the Northeast corner. We hit up 3 creameries, we had a potential of 4 stops, but sadly we all recognize we are no longer 13 and have endless ability to process sugars and rich creams. But, oh my goodness was it SO good! Later this fall we have plans to hit 3 tops to the Northwest, in the Frederick, Maryland area. I think I am acclimating to Maryland quite nicely. I think the smaller birthday, celebrated by just a few people, is the absolute best. The few phone calls and the time with family, is precious. I know this year I tried to hide. And that would have been perfectly fine too, but to have another crazy and random event to add to my list - awesome. Oh, and I had ice cream later that night with dinner. Yes, over 4 separate ice cream stops, and it hurt so good!
No comments:
Post a Comment