Ah, conference weekend. It's lovely. I don't know a single person (oh, ok married people too!) who does not look forward to this weekend. It's rejuvenating, it is captivating, it is amazing that at one time members of my church are all gathered to hear from our leaders. We believe that there is a modern day prophet, like unto Moses and Abraham of old, who speaks to us the words of God. It is this weekend when for 2 days we hear messages expounding doctrine and inspiring us to "... be a a better person than [we] have been in the past.... be a little kinder to any [we] meet who may be in distress... a little more helpful to those who are in need... be a better neighbor and friend" (President Gordon B. Hinckley, Each a Better Person October 2002 General Conference).
I remember being a young child and sitting still at the church building for 2 hours at a time was hard. And to put that 4 sessions over 2 days, was almost impossible. My parents are saints who worked with us and taught us well. And as I grew older and technology become more readily available we were able to start watching conference in our own home. This helped, but we still needed to keep them listening. I then had the idea of making a little cross word, but this did not help as they were focused on the cross word. I then came up with a bingo board that I could change and add topics to each session. It's silly. However the kids would have a handful of skittles or m&m's, and I felt like I was something cool because I was able to come up with something. I like to pretend it was awesome, but I know the reality.
However, I thought with this being conference weekend, maybe others would like to see an example of what I use to do for my brothers and sisters. The link below takes you to an online pdf file I created with 4 boards ready to go. The clip art came from the church's media resource center, if you are looking to create your own.
Tomorrow comes the fun young adult tradition I learned out here in Washington, DC - cinnamon rolls! I will post that along with some suggestions on how to make really big, fluffy rolls. It's fun to mark an important occasion with something fun, some family tradition to make it an individual tradition of gathering and being edified together.
Happy October!
Conference Bingo Boards
P.s. does anyone else besides me miss that daylight savings was always during conference and Thomas S. Monson would remind us each Saturday night session to move our clocks? Yeah, something silly and little, but still missed.
I remember being a young child and sitting still at the church building for 2 hours at a time was hard. And to put that 4 sessions over 2 days, was almost impossible. My parents are saints who worked with us and taught us well. And as I grew older and technology become more readily available we were able to start watching conference in our own home. This helped, but we still needed to keep them listening. I then had the idea of making a little cross word, but this did not help as they were focused on the cross word. I then came up with a bingo board that I could change and add topics to each session. It's silly. However the kids would have a handful of skittles or m&m's, and I felt like I was something cool because I was able to come up with something. I like to pretend it was awesome, but I know the reality.
However, I thought with this being conference weekend, maybe others would like to see an example of what I use to do for my brothers and sisters. The link below takes you to an online pdf file I created with 4 boards ready to go. The clip art came from the church's media resource center, if you are looking to create your own.Tomorrow comes the fun young adult tradition I learned out here in Washington, DC - cinnamon rolls! I will post that along with some suggestions on how to make really big, fluffy rolls. It's fun to mark an important occasion with something fun, some family tradition to make it an individual tradition of gathering and being edified together.
Happy October!
Conference Bingo Boards
P.s. does anyone else besides me miss that daylight savings was always during conference and Thomas S. Monson would remind us each Saturday night session to move our clocks? Yeah, something silly and little, but still missed.
No comments:
Post a Comment