Sunday, January 8

Amazing start to 2012

In late fall the news reported the Weather Service and Farmer's Almanac said this winter would be mild.  My goodness, if this is mild, I'll take it!

This winter has been very mild.  In fact, Friday everyone was commenting that it was the first day of Spring.  Then yesterday/Saturday I went around in short sleeves and did not even have a jacket or anything.  As it got dark out, it was still warm, in the 50's.  And I was in Pennsylvania. 

The conservatory at the Longwood Garden Estate.
Thanks some amazing friends, Akash and Azza and their adorable daughter Aria, Uncle Mike and I went to a little city called North East, Maryland and visited.  It has been about a year and a half since I have seen them, at Aria's baby blessing.  The town is quite small, but very cute.  Akash and Azza then treated U. Mike and I to an afternoon at the Longwood Garden's estate (which is one of the Du Pont homes).  This estate is all about the gardens.  They have a conservatory which is larger than any home I have been in.  There is a concert hall inside the conservatory which has a pipe organ.

Inside the conservatory.  At night the lights
turned on.  It was breathtaking.
The whole estate was set up for Christmas still.  This weekend was the last weekend for the Christmas decorations and the water fountain show.  Ummmm...  amazing!  The estates grounds are spectacular.  With lush green fields (yes green, the grass has not lost it's color yet due to the mild winter), rolling hills and trees, and flowers galore.  The Memorial Day Rose had such an amazing smell.  The Olive Tree has a mild fresh, olive oil scent.  And the lights, wreaths, and pine trees were more than the eye could behold.  Every room, and there were more rooms than I kept count of, had it's own theme and grouping of flowers.  I think that this will be a new tradition to add to the Christmas season as long as I stay in the Washington, DC area.

Tonight is Ken's birthday and church will be followed by going to his home for cake and ice cream. 

I love the start to 2012!  Mild weather, dinner with friends (Wednesday night Burtie and I wen to National Harbour, Maryland for dinner on the town), road trips, seeing long time friends, and new places to explore....  This is exactly what I hope the new year will be filled with.  Yes, I am happy to bring in the new year!

No comments:

Post a Comment