Sunday, January 1

Happy New Year!

Merry Christmas! 

Christmas busyness did not stop after Christmas, which is why this post is SO late.

Christmas was magical.  It was everything I wish it could be.  From donating blood as a family (Dad and I could not as we were both sick and Nick was simply unable due to failing the iron or heart rate test), to the traditional trip to Independence Visitor Center.

Tuesday was a very relaxing peaceful day.  Packing and cleaning my room in the morning and stopping by the nail salon for a manicure and smoothie after were a great treat.  The airport had no one.  It was quiet and the time from the drop at the curb to getting to the gate was about 15-20 minutes. Unheard of!

Nick, Marsha, and Ben along with Adam, Jamie, and I arrived at the Kansas City Airport within 2-3 hours of the first arrival to the last.  I was the first to arrive with Adam and Jamie arriving approximately 30 minutes later.  Mom, Dad, and the kids welcomed me, but then left right away to get Adam and Jamie.  Zack and I stayed at the terminal (Nick and Marsha would be coming in the terminal I was in) to get my bag.  It was waiting for us.  Again, unheard of.  Zack and I stayed at the airport and walked the terminal several times.  Finally, I was starving so I told Zack to come to an airport restaurant.  We got an apple pie, chocolate molten cake, and nachos.  We thought the kids would find us, get jealous.  That is where the nachos came in to have something everyone could eat.  But they never came!  To top it off, Zack paid for the dinner.  I was going to pay, because I was hungry, but he would not let me.  Zack and I walked some more before dad, mom, and the kids found us.  It was so nice how we were all home so quickly and to spare mom and dad several trips to the airport.  Plus, dad was able to dress up as Santa again.

As a gift to mom and dad from all the kids, we decided to take a family portrait.  Thanks to Marsha and her father, we were able to come up with something that looks professional.  Marsha has been learning about photography and her father has a very nice camera.  Between that and Marsha working a majority of the break on photo shop, Nick and Marsha put together an amazing gift.  It was better that what we could have hoped for.

Mom and dad also surprised us with ice skating at the new Independence arena something or the other.  I don't know what it is called, but it is just off of Rt 291 and I-70.  With my broken toe I volunteered to watch Ben as the family skated.  Ben is such a happy little boy and he was entertained just watching.  I did not have to entertain him at all.  I think this was mom's first time skating or skating in many years.  This was definitely Sam's first time.  He fell a total of 4 times but took to the ice like a champ.  After 2-3 times around the rink he did not look like a first time skater.  I tried to upload a video with the blog, but it would simply not upload.  However, you can click here to see a copy of the video on my facebook page. 

Saturday brought our traditional visit to the Independence Visitor Center.  We had a brand new missionary, all of 2 weeks in the field, try and locate our traditional video The Witness.  This video is in 2 parts and she brought up the 2nd part of Christ's visit to the Americas.  Completing missing the whole birth, death, and resurrection.  Surprisingly mom said that was ok because Mary, who is now 14, still cannot handle the crucifixion scenes.  We did get our Brady bunch stairs shot.  Zack and I snuck away to the children's play area and had our annual checkers game.  And like every year, we were unable to finish it and called it a draw.  (I was going to lose, so I was very lucky.)

With Christmas on Sunday we only did the Santa gifts in the morning.  Sam woke me up at 4:00 am and we watched Phineas and Ferb: Across the 2nd Dimension.  He was SO excited that when the movie ended at 6:00 am he ran back upstairs to ask if we could start.  A disappointed Sam woke me again and we ended up watching 5 more episodes of the cartoon on my computer's Netflix account.  We did not start Christmas until 8:00 am!  A new record!  It was fun to have a baby again.  This was Ben's first Christmas.  We quickly ate breakfast and went to church where we sang the Christmas Carols while we hear excerpts from The Living Christ.  Sibling gifts ended our night and Sam, by far, came up with the best clues.  And this is not the big sister being proud and giving it to him.  He honestly had the best clues and even put together a back story that made the hunt for the gift by far the best we have ever had.

I came home the following day, making the season come to a quick and abrupt end.  Uncle Mike volunteered to get me (I was planning a cab, so yeah!) and we went back to his place and talked for a couple hours.  Wednesday we went to the Muppet Movie (oh and that had me laughing out loud.  Great movie) and Thursday had us again catching up and watching Top Chef.  I am so blessed to get to know Uncle Mike like this.  I know most people do not get to know their aunts and uncles like I know Uncle Mike and I truly count it as a rich blessing. 

With such a perfect end to 2011, I look forward and wonder what 2012 might bring.  There are always the goals of bettering one self and world peace, but I am curious as to what next year can do.  I hope something big happens (good big, not bad!) that gives the year a twist and creates fun memories.  I hope that as life continues along that I don't let it become boring or mundane but always find something different and unique to keep life interesting.

May we remember at the close of this wonderful season why it is we celebrate and offer our thanks. May the Lord continue bless you and yours as we offer our thanks to Him for what we have already been richly blessed us with.

Happy New Year!


No comments:

Post a Comment