Sunday, January 22

First Snow Fall

This winter has been incredibly mild and pleasant.  I think I have really only needed my coat a dozen or so times.   (Half of that use was for mom and dad's home during Christmas.)  I have enjoyed jackets, hats, and scarves, but not the coat.  I've LOVED it.  In face, the post below about going to the Longwood Gardens in Pennsylvania in January, I NEVER put on my coat. 

Friday we had our first snow fall which actually accumulated.  We have had flurries in the past but nothing that lasts more than a few minutes and nothing which lasts on the ground. 

As the single life in the city allows for the complete randomness of activities, I have the joy and the freedom to randomly choose events and fun.  Friday night a friend and I decided to go into the district at 9:00 at night and we went to Bobby's Burger Palace.  (It is a restaurant owned by Bobby Flay.)  Good burger, but it could have been better.  (I think it was the staff, not the recipe itself.)  On the way home from dropping off my good friend Afton at her home, it started to snow.  There was about 1/2 inch on the ground.  This caused all sorts of havoc on the road.  I had no troubles with my little 5 speed. 

The snow was soft.  When it snows, the world is a slightly miracle.  I had music playing from Josh Wright (Check out his CD here.  The Clair de Lune / How Great Thou Art and Rachmaninoff: Rhapsody On A Theme of Paganini, Variation 18 are my absolute favorite.)  In the dark of the night, around the midnight hour and with the classical music playing in the background it was almost as if heaven put a little of their splendor for me to enjoy that evening. 

Each season has it's splendor.  Each season has its beauty.  Winter allows for quite and for the peace and for reflection.  Robert Frost has a favorite poem of mine which more eloquently describes the peace, quiet, and splendor of the season:

Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening

Who's woods these are, I think I know.
His house is in the village though;
He will not see me stopping here
To Watch his woods fill up with snow.

My little horse must think it queer
To stop without a farmhouse near
Between the woods and frozen lake
The darkest evening of the year.

He gives his harness bells a shake
To ask if there is some mistake.
The only other sound's the sweep
Of easy wind and downy flake.

The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.

And now, off to sleep I go with warm thoughts and peace in the heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment