Thursday, April 19

C&O Canal


The catch up continues....

The following weekend I explored a little of the C&O Canal. 

Interesting story.

In 1954 the Washington Post published an article in support of the proposal to turn the C&O into a highway.  It is the popular mindset but was still was meeting with some opposition.  Supreme Court Justice William O. Douglas responded and explained how the park is a "refuge, a place of retreat, a long stretch of quiet and peace at the capital's back door".  Justice Douglas suggested that the people of DC needed a place to retreat to.  A place preserved of the natural and cultural history of the area.  His argument told the post, "It is a sanctuary for everyone who loves woods - a santuary that would be utterly destroyed by a fine 2 lane highway."  He then invited anyone to hike the entire C&O with him.  The editorial writer and his editor accepted the challenge. 

Near the Calderock
On March 22, 1954 the judge, editorial writer, editor, and several other expects on the history both natural and cultural pertaining to the Potomac River and the C&O to join them.  The judge hiked 20 miles per day and many people could not keep up with him.  Starting in Cumberland, Maryland and hiking all the way to Georgetown many discussions were had.  By the end of the trail the editor and the editorial writer all agreed, the area should be saved as a National Park. 

Part of the C&O has a walk over to Olmstead Island.  This biospere is unique as it is one of the few places in the world that is a bed rock forest.  The island juts out into the Potomac river to allow another view of the Great Falls.  In my opinion it is a better side to view the falls from. 

There are several hikes on this end and I have already traveled on a few.  This section will be harder and longer to complete as I cannot get into Maryland daily, but on Saturdays I am planning on going often.

Falls on Olmstead Island
Yet again I am reminded of the natural beauty all around.  I can only wonder what it must have been like when the pilgrams landed or when George Washington walked the same area.  Many times I wish I had lived in a different era and this would be definately something I would have liked to see - America in it's Natural and wild state.  But then I think about air conditioning, cars, and planes and I am thankful again to be born in this era.

Billy Goat A trail was hiked.  It was simple but provided rock ledges, sandy beaches, swamp land, river, water falls,, mountain climbs, and forested trails.  The trail was not strenous but definately took time.  My roommate was with me and was much slower (which made me feel good considering my knees and my lack of conditioning!) and we completed it in 3 hours.  I probably could have been about 1.5-2 hours depending upon stopping for photo ops. 

I think I am starting to get better and while I was suppose to hike the Apallation Trail this weekend, which has now fallen through,I should be ready for that adventure soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment