Sunday, April 22

The Original Washington Monument

One of my many hikes and explorations of the area took me to Boonsboro, Maryland.

Washington Monument Maryland State Park
History Lesson:

In 1827 during the Boonsboro town's 4th of July celebration the town's folk gathered the stones and erected the first Monument built to honor General George Washington.who passed away only 28 years before.  It is crudely built, however does stand proud atop South Mountain (which has a large part in the Civil War history). 

The state park has free parking for the Appalachian Trail hikers, so when the weather is more fair, this is probably where I will start my hike.  I wish it did not storm this weekend, otherwise, I would have gone out this weekend.  Next weekend looks like the weather will be cool and no storms, which means I think I will try to head out then.

Boonsboror is only about 20 minutes from Haggerstown, which has some of the best outlets in the area.  I wondered over there and picked up way too much and spent way too much.  I'm sure the locals appreciated it!  Anyways, after over $200 I decided it was time to head home.  While heading out, I saw a sign which said "Old Towne Haggerstown" and thought that is where I would have dinner.  I thought it would be simple to get to, but the way was turn after turn and through some round abouts.  I got hopelessly lost.  And my GPS on my phone stopped working.  I then started wondering around and came upon I-81, which is about 1 - 1.5 hours out of my way, if I took the I-81 south instead of getting onto I-70 East bound.  Otherwise, not good. 

I kept trying to find I-70 but finally gave up an started south on I-81.  This meant I went through Maryland, West Virginia, and into Virginia.  SO FAR OUT OF THE WAY!  Luckily for me and all my other wanderings, I found State Route 9 and was about to cut out a little more than 1 hour out of my travels.  I felt so lucky. 

Lesson - get a GPS which is not on your phone so you can make sure the GPS will always work and not be roaming/no towers near  by.

No comments:

Post a Comment