 |
| Sunset over the Antietam Battlefield |
Happy 4th of July!
I have never been a big one for this holiday. It is my brother, Adam's, birthday and we typically only did a few Roman Candles, ground flowers, and fountains. It was simply more about enjoying the time together as a family. Which, of course, is definitely my favorite part.

But, since moving out to the Washington, DC area, I have enjoyed the many displays that are all over the area. I have been to the The National Mall and seen the concert/fireworks there (in my opinion it is way over rated, but something to do at least once). I have been to a country club, and to neighborhood fireworks at the end of a driveway. But out of all the places that I have been to around the area, the best, by far, has always been at Antietam National Battlefield, in Sharpsburg, Maryland.

They put on an event like none other. Around 30,000+ people attend, but it never feels that crowded! The Maryland Symphony Orchestra provides an amazing concert that even children would enjoy. The Marines fire off civil war cannon in sync with the music. Then the fireworks! They last forever. It had to be at least 30 minutes, and they are large and impressive. Then the Marines fire off the cannons some more in time with the fireworks.
 |
| Tina, Maria Elena, and Clara |
It's just awesome, for kids, teenagers, adults, anyone. And if you get a hippie group around you that starts playing their drums and guitars when the fireworks are over, EVEN BETTER!
 |
| Kara and Kami watching the fireworks. |
This year was just amazing. I brought Tina, and our neighbors Maria Elena and her daughter Clara (16) to meet up with my good friend Kara and her sister Kami. The mountains provide a beautiful backdrop to the setting sun and flag. This week has been unseasonably cool, weather in the 70's, and a cool breeze coming in from the north. It felt closer to being out west in the Rockies enjoying a 4th of July show, and freezing because it was SO cold. Many people brought sweatshirts, but I was ok with out mine.
I think this will always be my favorite place to celebrate the Freedom that the 4th of July represents. Sitting on the battlefield that proved to be the bloodiest day out of the entire Civil War. A place where thousands of men paid the ultimate price to protect the freedom that I don't even fully understand. So, if you are ever in the area around this time of year, this is a definite must.
I'm so glad that we have been able to go the past couple of years together. This is a truly a very sacred place and the event is one I look forward to every year. Thanks for the awesome picture of Kami and I.
ReplyDelete