Monday, July 21

Apple Pie Icebox Cake Deliciousness

Answer me honestly, is there really anything better than Apple Pie?  Warm and caramely goodness. I love it.  For the last several weeks, I have been wanting Apple Pie.  It's like my favorite dessert, almost ever, but not quite.  But it's summer.  And I don't want to turn on the oven.  So, with a little extra time on my hands I start dreaming up with a way this might work.  I was inspired by a recipe I saw about a filling, and then everyone was sending me Icebox Cake recipes, which I guess is the new fad.  And suddenly, a recipe started forming.

Now, don't get me wrong, Icebox cakes are awesome.  But Graham Crackers, everywhere.  No! When I hear cake, I want cake.  I'm American, I want my carbs and my cake (and I'll eat it too)!

So, this heart attack is what formed, and honestly, it's sweet and to die for.

Can I get an "Amen"?

Introducing:

Apple Pie Icebox Cake

Apples:
5 cups apples, small dice (I like Pink Lady apples best)
1/2 cup granulated sugar
3 tbsp flour
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp ground gloves

Filling/Frosting
8 oz cream cheese, softened to room temperature
1 cup powdered sugar
1/4 cup heavy cream
1 tbsp brown sugar
1-2 tsp cinnamon
1/2-1 tsp nutmeg
1/2-1 tsp cloves
1 cup whipped cream

Cake
You can use your favorite yellow cake mix, to be quicker, or this recipe for a descent yellow cake recipe. I'm still tweaking mine, and I will update the post when I come up with the cake that I like/is worthy to be shared.


Directions:


1.  In a medium bowl, small dice apples, I think about 5 would work.
-I always have a waste bowl on the side, this seems to allow me to work a cleaner station without always heading over to a trash can.


2.  In a second bowl, sift together all the dry ingredients.




3.  Pour the apples into the flour mixture and combine until the apples are evenly coated.  At this point, I had some pure maple syrup from Canada (which I learned the lesson that nothing beats Canadian syrup from a great roommate of mine, Kim.)  I added a few drops of the maple syrup to get an additional hint of flavor to the apples.

Yeah, I think they looked really good.  --->



4.  Put the apples into a large skillet and over medium heat cook the apples until they are warm and softened.  Don't cook until mush, think al dente.  I know, I know.  It's a pasta term, but I think you know with what I am going with, even using the wrong term.  The bottom of the pan can easily start to cook the sugar and coat the bottom of the pan, so ensure you scrape the bottom of the pan often.  This stuff is sugary goodness.  Remove from heat and set aside.

5.  Make your yellow cake, as you normally would.  But, instead of putting the cake batter in a 9x13 baking pan, put into a glass measuring cup for easier pouring.



***Here is the important part***  Heat your skillet to LOW (not medium, as I would have been temped, but your pancake cake will end up burning!)  And make sure you use cooking spray between each cake batch.







6.  Pour cake batter into your skillet and use a spoon to even out the batter and smooth into a round shape.  Cook just like a pancake.  Now, when you can slide your spatula slightly around the outside edges of your cake, it's time to flip.  If you wait much longer, they will burn, each and every time.  Yes, I know from experience. Set aside.










7.  To make the filling, beat cream cheese until fluffy then add in the powdered sugar and heavy cream and again, mix till fluffy.  Add the rest of the dry ingredients.  Fold in the whipped cream to make the mixture light.  

Divide into 4 equal parts





Assembly:

Start the base of your cake with 1 pancake cake. Generously layer the cooked apples. Spread on top the cream cheese mixture.  (I also added chopped nuts, I had pecans on hand).  Continue to layer, just like the Phoenician Crunch Cake I posted a LONG time ago.  I only had 3 layers to my cake.  I did not want this to be crazy tall.




And enjoy!  It is decadent, sweet, and a heart attack.  But the best part, I have cake, and pie, and apples without heating up my house.  I would guess this takes about 1 hour to prepare, but if you can multitask, you could easily get this completed under an hour.  Sorry for the sloppy presentation.  I started this on a whim late at night and finished around midnight.  I was more than a little happily tired!




No comments:

Post a Comment