Sunday, April 20

Because of Him

Happy Easter!

The church this year has had a major social campaign where they have asked the members of the church to post this video with the hash tag becauseofhim, (#becasueofhim) and they have asked us to bare a quick testimony of how, because of Him, our life is better, or peace has come, or however it has affected us.

I love this idea.  And, the video demonstrates how something that occurred over two millennia ago is relevant to today.  A carpenter from a small village in the Galilee taught the multitudes, performed miracles, and died all that each one of us might have a chance to go back to live with our Father in Heaven.  The chance, if we but choose to believe and to "come follow Him".

Because of Him, I know that I am of infinite worth, a child of God.  Because of Him, I have a faith and a hope that even in the darkest of hours, the Lord has promised "My [daughter] peace be unto thy soul; thine adversity and thine afflictions shall be but a small moment; And then if [I] endure it well, God shall exalt [me] on high..." (Doctrine and Covenants 121:7-8).  (I know, I know!  I know I use this scripture all the time, but it is so beautiful and it fits eloquently in so many aspects/circumstances right now.)    Because of Him, I know that I can return to live with Him again.  Because of Him, I can repent of my sins, gain another new beginning, and try again.  Because of Him, I have purpose in this life, I have a direction.  I know who I am, and where I am going.  The path may be hard to see at times, but as I ask "Keep thou my feet I do not ask to see the distant scene, one step enough for me.  I was not ever thus or prayed that thou shouldst lead me on.  I loved to choose and see my path; but now lead thou me on!" (Lead, Kindly Light, John Henry Newman 1801-1890).  "O send out thy light and thy truth:  let them lead me; let them bring me unto thy holy hill, and to they tabernacles.  Then will I go unto the alter of God, unto God my exceeding joy:  yea, upon the harp will I praise thee, O God my God." (Psalms 43:3-4).

Because of Him, I am.  (And I am not trying to be sacrilegious or anything here.  I am not comparing myself to Him.)  It sounds so simple and contrite, but it's the truth.  He makes me who I am.  Because of Him, I have shaped my life and hope that my life is an example of another disciple of my Christ and my God.  I know that I am not perfect.  I know that I have many things to learn and miles to go to become the girl I feel is worthy to return to Him.  "Behold, my soul delighteth in the thing of the Lord; and my heart pondereth continually upon the things I have seen and heard...  O Lord, wilt thou encircle me around in the robe of thy righteousness!  O Lord, wilt thou make a way for mine escape before mine enemies! [Even if those enemies are at times me and my insecurities?]  Wilt thou make my path straight before me!..  O Lord, I have trusted in thee, and I will trust in thee forever..."  (2nd Nephi 4:16 & 33-34).

This Easter, I invite all to look for the ways that the Lord has blessed the lives we lead.  The small and simple miracles that make up or incredible lives.  Like Elijah of old:

     "And he said, Go forth, and stand upon the mount before the Lord.  And, behold, the Lord passed by,
     and a great and strong wind rent the mountains, and brake in pieces the rocks before the lord;
     but the Lord was not in the wind: and after the wind an earth quake; but the Lord was not in the
     earthquake:
     "And after the earth quake a fire; but the Lord was not in the fire: and after the fire a still small voice.
     "And it was so, when Elijah heard it, that he wrapped his face in his mantle, and went out..." (1st Kings
     19:11-13)

Because of Him.  He is risen and I can live agian.

No comments:

Post a Comment