This last weekend was General Conference for my church. It is a wonderful and uplifting time for us to gather together as a people to hear words that we believe come straight from God's living prophets and apostles. This seems to be, especially for me in the spring, an opportunity to really just go through everything, to kick off spring cleaning. (When I am not heading down to The Mall to participate in International Pillow Fight Day!)
This year I took everything out of my room. I mean everything. It was like I was moving into my room for the first time. I was surprised how quickly I was able to get everything out. But I knew that it was the putting things back together that would be the long part!
What I found, or more accurately remembered, is just amazing.
While cleaning, I went to a small cedar chest that sits on my dresser. This is my "treasure chest" and holds the small nick knacks that are precious to me. I was able to remember my Great Grandmother Arnett and the 2 bead necklaces she made for me before she passed. I saw the white handkerchiefs that my mother made or that I collected in Young Women's and used for the different temple dedications that I have attended. I found a precious note written by my Uncle Mike when times were tough. I have my Young Women Recognition Award necklaces, the Precious Moments plate my mother got for me when I turned 13, I smiled when I saw a couple pictures of my father and I when I was young. Each of these, plus a few other things, made me smile and allowed me to remember how blessed I was growing up. I am truly like Nephi when he states "... having been born of goodly parents" (1st Nephi 1:1).
While organizing the contents of my "treasure chest" I came across this little book. This little book (above) is a miracle that I am still blessed with today.
While I was a sophomore in high school, I was taken from seminary (a before school class focused on religious study) by a friend. After school I would go home by bus. This meant that I would take my scriptures with me everyday from home to church for seminary, from seminary to school, and finally back home. I kept my scriptures in my locker.
One day I was heading to the bus and I realized I forgot my scriptures and went to my locker to get them out. I was surprised when I got to my locker and saw the door was slightly ajar. I opened the door, grabbed my jacket, and had just slammed the door closed when I realized I did not get my scriptures out. Upon opening the door again, they were gone. Nothing was taken out of my locker, but my scriptures, the case they came in, and the little hymnal you see here.
Because it was a theft, I was required by the school to report it to the officer that was stationed at the school. I knew going in that there would not be any chance they could do anything. The cost was too small, no leads to follow, and I did not have any suspects.
I was devastated. I had asked special from my parents for a new set of scriptures for my 15th birthday for when I entered high school. I received a triple combination from my parents and a KJV bible from my grandmother for my baptismal/8th birthday. But I wanted something that would be for my intense years of study in the scriptures, to get me through seminary in high school and institute in college. Mom and dad had my name embossed in both the hymnal they surprised me with and my quad. Even though I was devastated, I had my scriptures from when I was 8, so I was ok and was able to continue on with my seminary classes.
![]() |
| Scriptures Jamie gave me back in 2000 |
![]() |
| Just a random page showing my study after years of use. |
![]() |
| How my hymnal was found in the spring of 2002 |
I was not happy to see my book burned. It felt like I was personally slapped on the face and I could not believe that someone would purposefully burn (by cigarette no less) something that was sacred. Even if I did not believe or hold the object in the same light, I could never burn a Torah or Koran. It was sentimental and personal. However, this book stands as a reminder and a witness of how you can never plan or anticipate how things will work out.
Many times this lesson has been taught and retaught to me as I go through life and new challenges present themselves. I never thought my life would be the way it is. I never wanted the life that I now have. I fantasize how life could have been or how I long for something that I believe is a worthy desire. However, I go back to my little book and remember that ultimately I give my life to my God and hope that I can do some good.
While my original set of scriptures are still missing, (and I can only imagine what has happened to them) I am grateful for a loving Heavenly Father who remembered me last weekend and brought this lesson to me anew. While I struggle with feeling if I am worthy of being called His daughter, feeling like I am faking my way through life, and trying to find a new purpose when what I wanted seems out of reach I remember a loving teacher, I remember a loving Heavenly Father, and I have a little more strength than I had before. Thank you Heavenly Father for my "Tender Mercy" this week.



No comments:
Post a Comment