I started recently reading the Book of Mormon again, so I am in 1st Nephi. I'm taking a blue paperback copy and highlighting/marking up with thoughts an impressions in the margins and cross referencing scripture.
In my readings, I am at the point of Nephi's vision of the "Tree of Life". In 1st Nephi 11: 2-6, it reads:
| Nephi's Vision, as depicted at the Hill Cumorah Pageant Palmyra, New York, 2013 |
"And I said: I desire to behold the things which my father saw.
"And the Spirit said unto me: Believst thou that my father saw the tree of which he hath spoken:
"And I said: Yea, though knowest that I believe all the words of my father.
"And when I had spoken these words, the Spirit cried with a loud voice, saying Hosanna to the Lord, the most high God; for he is God over all the earth, yea, even above all. And blessed art thou, Nephi because thou believest in the Son of the most high God; wherefore, thou shalt behold the things which thou has desire."
I stopped to ponder this. It seemed a little ironic that the angel would ask this of Nephi. Nephi had already shown faith and believed on his father's words. So much in fact, he was pondering the vision, believing the Lord would be able to show him the vision, when he was swept away in a vision. And Nephi was brought to a mountain no less (an ancient equivalent to a temple). So, why would the Spirit, acting in behalf of the Lord, ask Nephi if he believed?
I then pondered upon another example that came to mind. At the beginning of Mark 9, the Lord takes Peter, James, and John; go up a mountain; and was the Lord was Transfigured. Verse 14 picks up the story when they come back to His disciples.
"And when he came to his disciples, he saw a great multitude about them, and the scribes
questioning with them.
"And straightway all the people, when they beheld him, were greatly amazed, and running
to him saluted him.
"And he asked the scribes, What question ye with them?
"And one of the multitude answered and said, Master, I have brought unto thee my son,
which hath a dumb spirit;
"And wheresoever he taketh him, he teareth him: and he foameth, and gnasheth with his teeth,
and pineth away: and I spake to thy disciples that they should cast him out; and thy could not.
"He answereth him, and saith, O faithless generation, how long shall I be with you? how long
shall I suffer you? bring him unto me.
"And they brought him unto him: and when he saw him, straightway the spirit tare him; and he
fell on the ground, and wallowed foaming.
"And ofttimes it hath cast him in the fire, and into the waters, to destroy him: but if thou canst
do anything, have compassion on us, and help us.
"Jesus said unto him, If thou canst believe, all things are possible to him that believeth.
"And straightway the father of the child cried out, and said with tears, Lord, I believe; help thou
mine unbelief.
"When Jesus saw that the people came running together, he rebuked the foul spirit, saying unto
him, Thou dumb and deaf spirit, I charge thee, come out of him, and enter no more into him.
"And the spirit cried, and rent him sore, and came out of him: and he was as one deed; insomuch
that many said, He is dead.
"But Jesus took him by the hand, and lifted him up; and he arose." (Mark 9:14-27)
Here we have another example. You have a man, who is showing faith by coming to Christ asking for assistance. Christ reminds him with faith, all things are possible. The father, without hesitation states "Lord, I believe." but in the same breath - I wonder if there was a pause here or not as the father comes to the full realization of his own level of faith - declares "help thou mine unbelief." And Christ healed the young man.
This brings me to the title of this post - the importance of inspired and asked questions.
Why would the Spirit and why would Christ ask questions that by the action of those in question answer the question. The conclusion I have come to is the importance of the inspired, and bravely asked, question. This works both ways. The learned one asking questions and the one seeking knowledge asking questions. As I am typically the one seeking knowledge, I feel that I have gained much from both sides.
Benjamin Franklin said:
"For having lived long, I have experienced many instances of being obliged by better information, or
fuller consideration, to change opinions even on important subjects, which I once thought right, but
found to be otherwise. It is therefore that the older I grow, the more apt I am to doubt my own
judgment, and to pay more respect to the judgement of others."
Constitution Signing Convention Monday September 17, 1787, according to Madison's notes
I appreciate Benjamin Franklin eloquently allowing us the ability to change our mind, our opinions. It is right and just. We make decisions based on the information we currently have and our own personal feelings/ideology. And, when new information is known, we have the ability to say we were wrong and come to a conclusion that is more appropriate.
So, when the Spirit asks Nephi if he has faith, Nephi has to search himself (short or long time) and make a declaration. It is easy to follow the motions, but it is hard to make a declaration - to reaffirm his position. I know that I would be thinking, how hard is it to say something, even if you don't mean it? People lie all the time. But making a declaration, reaffirming a position, that is hard. Think about the last time you said "I love you" to someone outside your family, when it was real. Why is it so hard to admit something out loud, even when it is true? But, like Benjamin Franklin gives, we have the ability and are prone to change our minds. This was an opportunity for Nephi to confirm, and say it out loud, to make it real, where he stood.
So, when the Spirit asks Nephi if he has faith, Nephi has to search himself (short or long time) and make a declaration. It is easy to follow the motions, but it is hard to make a declaration - to reaffirm his position. I know that I would be thinking, how hard is it to say something, even if you don't mean it? People lie all the time. But making a declaration, reaffirming a position, that is hard. Think about the last time you said "I love you" to someone outside your family, when it was real. Why is it so hard to admit something out loud, even when it is true? But, like Benjamin Franklin gives, we have the ability and are prone to change our minds. This was an opportunity for Nephi to confirm, and say it out loud, to make it real, where he stood.
I think this is why the story of the man with the "dumb spirit" son. How hard is it, when in the midst of something frantic and urgent, that the Lord asks him a question, that is coming from the short stop? (Left field makes it sound like it ts coming out of nowhere and this is still in the same ballpark topic.) It's not exactly expected, and catches the father off guard.
Elder Jeffrey R. Holland said in the October 1993 General Conference:
"If I may be so bold this morning, may I suggest 'direction for deliverance'? In words of one syllable,
we need to turn to God. We need to reaffirm our faith, and we need to reassert our hope."
-Look to God and Live, October 1993
With this idea in mind, it completely makes sense on why faith proceeds the miracle. When a miracle is used to make proof, it is easy to dismiss or find fault with what was given. However, when knowledge is earnestly sought after, the impression and the relevance stays. It becomes ingrained. It stays. It solidifies the decision and changing opinions does not even enter the mind. Nephi helped with gaining this knowledge in 1st Nephi 9:1
| Nephi's Vision, as depicted at the Hill Cumorah Pageant Palmyra, New York, 2013 |
1. Desire for a knowledge, for truth
2. Believe, have faith
3. Ponder, take the time to study it out in your mind and heart.
With study, work, and prayer, we come to a knowledge of truth, just like Nephi. The miracle, it comes after, as a result of our faith, and confirms what we have learned to be true.
So, after all that was learned, and as Nephi encourages us to liken scriptures after us, do we have the faith to see the same vision Nephi and Lehi saw?
No comments:
Post a Comment