We've had many troubles with our internet for the last 2-3 weeks, and now that it is back up, I can finish this post. I published the post, mainly to put a time stamp on the date. I made a quick post from my phone, and now (I won't say how many days later - but definitely well before the 1 week mark) I am able to update and put my scattered thoughts on ... paper ... internet screen ... yeah.

Since moving to the East Coast several years ago, I have really come into contact with some amazing people. I have found some of my best friends, some friends I had at other times in my life (childhood, teenage years, college, etc. By the way, when people say be nice to people, because it can come back to haunt you, it's SO true. I cannot tell you how many people I have run into!) I have met people that I am ok with staying as acquaintances, and I have met people that have left a permanent mark on my life.
 |
| Arlington National Cemetery, December 2013 |
So, in my reflective mood, I think back to James King. I meet Bishop King when I moved into the Langley ward back in the Spring/Summer of 2006. At that time, he had retired from the US Army as a 3 (or was if 4, I cannot remember) General. At the time of his retirement, Bishop King was the highest ranking Mormon in the US Armed Forces. But I did not know any of this until Memorial Day. I did not realize that everyone would leave to go to the Outer Banks, North Carolina. To me, it was a small holiday that my family had not really celebrated. The ward went from 300 people to maybe 50 people. Bishop King was 1 of 2 speakers (again, because no one was there! and delivered probably one of the most memorable sacrament meeting talks I have ever heard.
He started with explaining the origins of Memorial Day. From there, he started sharing some of his experiences as a young foot soldier. He told of moments where his testimony got him through times that seemed insurmountable, experiences that solidified doctrine, and circumstances that showed the closeness of God and His children. He then went on to talk about when he became a leader. He told of the heartache and difficult times where he had to make decisions, knowing that he was sending young men, sons and fathers, out for the cause of liberty knowing that some of them would not be coming home. It was interesting to see a strong man, a man I hold in great esteem, still feel the burden of a decision, even if that decision was correct, that affected thousands of lives.
 |
| Uncle Glee's Headstone in Kansas |
I am grateful for friends and family that have served, or who are serving in the Armed Forces, protecting our home. I know they deal with and shoulder so much, so I don't have to. I appreciate that they allow me the innocence of my happy and carefree days. I am grateful for the legacy of my family, my Uncle Glee Fox (Born May 12, 1921, died August 15, 1944). While he died in World War II and I never met him, his legacy is still talked about in my family. His letters home, the love he showed to his niece (my grandma) is evident in the letters we have that he sent home. The legacy continues with my cousins today. Russ, I knew from back home as a teenager, married my cousin. He is proudly serving in the US Navy, and is making it career. I was blessed to have them nearby (4 hours away without traffic) and get to know them more and see a little of their world while they were in Norfolk.


I am grateful for friends that sacrificed all. I am reminded of Scottie. He was a great friend of mine in DC. He would come for visits to his brother and close friends, which is how I got to know him. Scottie passed away on D-Day in 2012. It makes Memorial Day not as carefree, but a little more reflect-ful. So, when I visit other National Cemeteries and see the families with their departed loved ones, I understand to the smallest degree and thank them for their loved one.
 |
Horrible picture of the President's Own Marine Corp Band
May 2013 |
The Sunday before Memorial Day, at Wolfe Trap: Center of the Performing Arts National Park, the President's Own Marine Corp Band plays a free concert. It is fantastic, the 1812 Overture, John Phillip Sousa, at the end they play the theme songs for all the branches, and you get to stand up for those that are either in the service, or the family member of those in that service. I am always proud to stand up.
So, nothing really earth shattering. Just several musings, while I was unable to walk due to a knee injury. (Gotta love my old knees!)
No comments:
Post a Comment