I really consider this the golden era of Disney, where they got it right - well before all the sequels started popping up.
Favorite - Disney Songs Mid School
1. Les Poissons - The Little Mermaid - 1989
This may be a reason why I went to culinary school. Very possibly. The chef is just so happy, horrible french accent, and a song about food. How could this NOT be a favorite? I think this may be in the top 3 favorites.
2. The Mob Song - Beauty and the Beast - 1991
I LOVED this song and this was the song that I would sing over and over in Beauty and the Beast. As I got older, I loved the feel of the song itself. Going from like a march to smooth clarinet.
3. One Jump Ahead - Aladdin - 1992
Up beat - and just fun. Even though it wasn't "Steve" from Full House, it sounds like him and all us girls fell in love with Aladdin. "Got eat to live, still gotta eat, tell you about later when I've got the time."
4. Circle of Life - The Lion King - 1993
Can you really argue with this one? Masterful. Tim Rice and Elton John, probably the best of their career. (P.s. How cool is it that they show the movie in the piano?)
5. Newsiest - like ALL the songs. ALL the songs.
Young women everywhere fell in love with the Caped Crusader long before he dreamed up the rolls. Women fell in love with Jack and with Laurie (Yes, he was in Little Women in 1994. And yes, we loved him in that role as well and hoped that the story would change, so Jo and Laurie would end up together.) With:
Carrying the Banner
Seize the Day
Santa Fe - a song where Christian sings completely solo - and dances. (le sigh!)
The World Will Know
King of New York - this is fun because you see Bill Pullman singing - who knew?
Once and For All
I remember my junior year in High School, I was taking History 101 and 102 through UMKC at my high school. The teacher had "extra credit" where she did not have enough time in class to show films or other items. She put that she was going to show this movie, so all of her classes show up with fast food bags and we start watching the movie. When the songs started, the whole classroom (like 100 students) started singing. She had shown this movie for years and none of her classes sang before. She was flabbergasted! She thought no one had seen the movie and here we were signing the entire movie. She had never laughed so much at us. Thanks Christian for the extra credit - it got me an A+ in that class.
6. I2I - A Goofy Movie - 1995
Whatever Goofy is - a dog? - as a Michael Jackson wannabe? Sad that I am able to sing a-long without hesitation without seeing the film for over 10 years? For that reason alone, the song goes on the list.
7. I Won't Say I'm in Love - Hercules - 1997
The heronine's name is Meg, my name is Meg. It's destiny. And Disney smiles at destiny. Plus I like the old Chiffon's feel of the song.
8. I'll Make a Man Out of You - Mulan - 1998
Donny Osmond. I mean, Donny Osmond. I don't care how old/young you are, that name means something.
9. You'll Be in My Heart - Tarzan - 1999
Phil Collins has come a long way since his Genesis days. Many great songs, but I think this, just like Elton John, is the pinnacle of his career. Between this and Two Worlds, One Family it was difficult to choose which one was my favorite.
No comments:
Post a Comment