Thursday, June 19

A Weird Combination

I do not consider myself "girly" or "frilly" or any other synonyms like unto.

But I have realized that I am a weird contradiction.  I do many things that would be considered "girly".

Friends and I at Cafe Muse in Annandale,
Virginia, a Karaoke bar, dressed as the 
Clue characters. 
I do not have a fashion sense.  I cannot put together an outfit for casual wear or for work.  I cannot pick out jewelry.  I rely on my Uncle Mike for my cool pieces. (Whenever I wear something that he has given me, I ALWAYS get a compliment.  NEVER when I wear something that I have purchased myself.)  However, I can pick out dresses and shirt/skirt combinations that look great.  What?!?!  How?!?!?  I dunno.  But add to the fact that I do not like dresses/skirts and have a rule about how long I can/will wear them a week...

See, glitter does not have to
look childish!  This is my favorite 
combination, black and sliver
I have no problem getting dirty/getting on the ground no matter what I wear.  I can be in a dress, but if someone had a wreck and are worried...  I get under the hood, underneath the front of the vehicle... No problem.  It's not uncommon to have dirt/grease underneath my nails from working.  The contradiction - I like having my nails done. I have a large collection of OPI nail polish - complete with top and base coats.  I have worked on (pretending) French Manicures, along with combinations of glitter and other "nail art".  I don't want what I do to look like a child play.. but I have worked on and am coming up with new/easy ideas to make unique looking nails.  I played the piano growing up (not so much any more because I don't have a piano in my reach) and always had to have short nails.  Then I went to culinary school, which again required short nails with no polish on them to keep within food safety standards.  So this is a new development for me. And what's worse, I have a few shades of pink!  Never.  NEVER would I have thought I would have pink and colored nails even 3 years ago.

Latest craft project for Tina with 
left over fabric remnants.
I can change tires, brakes, and do many of my own car repairs.  I like playing and watching sports.  March Madness is my time of year (while my team plays) and everyone knows my life revolves around my Men's Kansas Jayhawks Basketball Team.  However, while I am watching my Hawks massacre any team we are playing (yes, we are that good) I'll be crocheting hats, scarves, baby blankets, scarves, wraps, etc.  I can also piece together a patchwork quilt, sew pillows, curtains, and reupholster step stools.

I have long/gangly arms and very broad shoulders.  I like to wear men's sweatshirts and men's sweatshirt jackets.  I cannot wear women's button down shirts because my arms are SO long and shoulders are so broad.  I always roll up the sleeves to my elbows and leave the shirt open (showing a tank top underneath) because of how weirdly I am proportioned.  And while I always comment on how I should sport a Sinead O'Connor hairstyle, I could never do it.  I will cut my hair shorter, but I quickly grow it out because it seems right and more feminine to have longer hair.  I guess that it is that I am so masculine in many of my attributes in stature that this is something I can do to help counteract that.

Oh, and lets look at my last two career choices.  I went from wedding caterings with lots of "fru fru" in tulle, ribbons, and lace.  Then I went to car repairs, tow trucks, and junk yards.  Again, complete opposites.

Then video choices.  I like watching musicals and romantic comedies.  For TV, I like watching military shows and documentaries on modern weapons.

So, my next couple of posts will probably have some more to do with recipes and showing my latest craft projects, and maybe something frilly.  I think I'll use this post for when I have access to modern medicine again and finally go to that therapist to show how bi polar I am.  Maybe a life coach or career guidance counselor.

Man, just reading this post I am thinking of more contradictions.  I'll just end it here.

Lets face it, I really am weird.

No comments:

Post a Comment