Thursday, June 19

Easy Crock Pot Summer Dinner.

I know, this doesn't look like much, but believe me...  It's worth it.  The smell alone is amazing. And to have a meal like this - all hot goodness - while not heating up a kitchen or standing outside with the grill sweating away (and I LOVE the grill, but sometimes it's just too hot!).  This was a great find.

This takes either 4 hour on high heat or 7-8 hours on low heat.  Perfect to be cooking while you are away at work.

What you will need
1. 1 bag of frozen skinless, boneless chicken breasts
2. 1 bottle of your favorite barbecue sauce (I highly recommend Gates BBQ Sauce.  My
    absolute favorite.  Worth every penny.)
3. A few russet potatoes
4. 1/2 red onion
5. 1 bag of corn on the cob, frozen
6. Butter or margarine
7. Parmesan Cheese
7. Salt, pepper, garlic, and your favorite spices
8. Aluminum foil

Directions:

Basically think of this as a tin foil dinner.  Honestly, that's about what it is.

1. Cube your potatoes and carrots into a medium dice.  I used about 2 lbs of potatoes (because I love potatoes as much as I love BBQ) and split this between two "dinners" to allow the veggies to cook faster.  I added the basics (salt, pepper, garlic) along with a season all salt and a small amount of butter.  Make sure to seal up all sides of the "dinner".  While we are not concerned about fire getting into and burning the food, want to create a seal and steam to allow the food to cook more quickly and evenly.

2. Take the corn and rub butter over the cob.  Take a piece of foil and place a small grouping of Parmesan cheese, and your favorite spices.  I like using chipotle and parsley (because it really does not add any flavor but I do like the color.  There are already so many flavors going on in this dinner, I felt I did not need to add another element.).  Roll the cob to completely coat in the cheese mixture and then seal up the cob in the foil.

3. In your crock pot place your frozen chicken on the bottom of the crock pot.  I could easily get 4 breasts onto the bottom of mine.  Poor a little bit of sauce over the top.  Not a lot.  The point is to have little to no sauce.  With the moisture in the breast and with the heating of the pot, you will not be without sauce.

4. On top of the chicken breast place the tin foil packets of potatoes/onion and fill in the gaps in the pot with corn.  Let cook for either 4 hours on high or 7-8 hours on low.

Please don't think less for a selfie.  I was 
showing my brother I was wearing his jersey.
And when this came out, I was wearing my Brazilian soccer jersey, thanks to my brother Eric bringing it back from his Mission to Sao Paulo, Brazil a couple years ago, sporting a new hair do (which you cannot see in the picture) watching the first round of the World Cup with BBQ.  It was not an imperfect day!

No comments:

Post a Comment