Friday, June 20

An Idaho Staple Crock Pot Dinner

My friend Shelby asked for another easy summer recipe.  I was not a little excited.  While this is way simple, (and I'll come up with other better ones later for ya!) I thought that I would do a quick post of what I am actually having for dinner tonight.

Baked Potatoes

I know that I just recommended a BBQ meal with potatoes, and I am repeating this, but I was surprised when the lady I live with thought that I could do this.  Well, if she was surprised, maybe others would be as well.

What you will need:

5 lb bag of russet potatoes
Olive Oil
Sea Salt
Aluminum Foil
1 large plastic Ziploc bag
Favorite Baked Potato Toppings

1. Wash each potato from the bag, and poke holes all over the spud.








2. In a large plastic bag, pour in olive oil and sea salt.  (I had to do this in 2 batches.)  Place the potatoes in the plastic bag and coat them in the oil and sea salt.












3. I prepared 12 foil pieces.  To avoid getting all messy, I used the bag to place each potato on their own piece of foil. Roll each potato into the foil to seal it up and place it in your crock pot.








This takes about 8 hours on high.  Again, perfect for while you are at work, or a Sunday afternoon.






And this is so versatile.  You can then pan fry the potatoes to be like a baked potato breakfast fry and cover it with white sausage gravy.  (I'm from the Mid West.  We put gravy on EVERYTHING!)  And the toppings, if going just the baked potato route are numerous:
Cheese (Cheddar, Colby, Parmesan, Asiago, feta, blue cheese - I mean really, any cheese), Sour Cream, Ham, Grilled Chicken, BBQ Pork, Turkey, Prosciutto, Pepperoni, Bacon, Basil, Oregano, Rosemary, Thyme, Chives, Green Onion, Broccoli, Garlic, Asparagus, Sun-dried Tomatoes, Grilled Onion, Roasted Red Peppers, Avocado, Chili, Salsa, BBQ Sauce, Gravy, Alfredo, Nacho Cheese, Pesto, or Butter.

I think tonight, it will be grilled chicken, with rosemary and garlic, broccoli, cheddar cheese, sour cream, and butter.  The kitchen sure is smelling good!

No comments:

Post a Comment