Saturday, December 17

Christmas Acitivites are in HIGH GEAR!

WOW!!!!  This week has flown by!  I cannot tell you HOW busy I have been.

Let's start last Sunday.

Sunday was church - always a full day when the meetings are 3 hours and the meeting starts at 1:30.  With the broken toe, I decided not to stay for the full 3 hours (yes, I don't feel bad ditching relief society!).  I ended up making several dozen cinnamon rolls and the family recipe for hot chocolate. 

Monday was spent delivering the goodies to friends for Christmas.  That started around 7:00 and went till midnight...  Yeah, I talk too much...

Tuesday was spent with Kari Bowes and Melissa Bentley at the George Mason Performing Arts Center to see the Russian Ballet perform the Nutcracker.  This year that as a child I was much more well rounded.  I went and saw several ballets, plays, and activities.  As I got older and became a teenager and young adult I stopped going.  This year has made up for it with Wicked, Les Mis, the 5 Browns, and the Nutcracker.  It has been a year of the arts.  It was interesting to see this version.  It was good and the music was superb, but they were all adults.  It took a little bit to realize who the children were and who the adults were.  None the less, it was a great production.

Wednesday was my works Christmas Party.  We went to Lightfoot Restaurant.  It is in the heart of historic Leesburg.  It is an old bank converted into a restaurant.  There was a piano that was playing classical Christmas music.  It was a little high priced.  Interestingly, the potato gratin was SO amazing, much better than the steak.  But the highlight was the chocolate banana bread pudding.  It was amazing.  I am still thinking about that bread pudding and wishing I could have had the dinner of nothing but the banana bread pudding.  Oh my, it was heaven and I want to find that recipe.

Thursday was a highlight.  Uncle Mike night and I went to Lexi Tenny's elementary school choir concert.  It was only 1/2 hour long (which is honestly the best length of a concert ever.  This concert has definitely gone to the top of my favorite list) and it had the 5th and 6th grade chorales.  Lexi was a stand out, very cute.  She would shake her head and clear her bangs out of her eyes when a big part would come out.  One song I could see she really liked was "Hot Chocolate".  They then combined choirs at the end and sang 2 songs.  One was "Let There Be Peace on Earth".  This was Grandma's song, and we would sing it every year.  They changed some of the words to make it non-religious.  That was sad, but it brought back Christmas memories back in Hutchinson, Kansas.

Friday I ended up getting sick (I felt it coming all week) and went to bed around 9:30.  I tried to finish up my Christmas Stockings, but I could not manage it.

Now today, Uncle Mike and I will be going to the Gaylord Hotel to see Ice!  Madagascar, eating at Bond 45 (a swanky restaurant in the new National Harbor area) and touring around the site, seeing the Christmas tree and other spots.  I am also making several dozen cinnamon rolls as I try to complete laundry to get to ready to go home.

Sunday will be going to the temple to see the lights and the Christmas concert.  I'm excited for that!

Monday is Chantilly High School's Winter Extravaganza.  It is a huge production which involves all the arts department.  The arts make the sets, choir sings, band plays the music for the choir, the orchestra comes out in the audience and plays Trans Siberian Orchestra music, and the drama department acts out the music (Last year was a Charlie Brown Christmas and Beauty and the Beast.) 

Coming back to Tuesday, I'll be flying home.  It does not stop!  It keeps going and going.  Once back in Missouri, we'll be playing and seeing things non stop.  (Another family blood drive, Chicago Street Lights, and the Independence Visitor Center.)  I cannot wait!  December goes too fast and is filled with non stop fun.  Now, to start making plans for New Years....

No comments:

Post a Comment