Wednesday, August 24

Shake, Rattle, and Roll

Knock that one off the bucket list.  I have just experienced my first earthquake.  The now infamous earthquake which shook Virginia and much of the Eastern seaboard. 


The scoop:


Near Mineral, Virginia (around the Lake Anna area, approximately 40 miles Northwest of Richmond and about 85 miles south of Washington, DC) an earthquake measuring 5.8 or 5.9 depending on the reports erupted.  It was a noticeable shake and did rock the office building for approximately 30-45 seconds.  At first I thought it was something on the roof as when the ac or the heating kicks on the building makes the same noises and shifts slightly.  But it kept making the noises and kept shaking, and it got stronger.  By the time I realized it was an earthquake and got up to move to a door way (my desk was not a viable option) it was over.  Later tonight I felt another movement, thought it was just me being silly, but it was an aftershock about 4.2.  Nice to know I was right! 


Now that the facts are known, I was amazed at the amount of criticism out from people who are more used to earth quakes and my friends from the Mid West who had never been in an earth quake before.  It helped to truly put into perspective of not passing judgements on something not experienced or known.  But at the same time, I am also amazed at the amount of over reaction surrounding this experience. 


Truly the Lord taught in Doctrine and Covenants 38:30, "If ye are prepared, ye shall not fear".  And I am seeing the blessings of this unfold.  I have spent a great deal of money this year working on my 72 hour kit.  I have a new camping back pack, new sleeping back, waterproof stuff sacks, pillows, clothing, food, etc.  I am missing a small cooking stove, but really, that is about it.  I keep a sleeping bag in my car, and my pack at home and easily accessible.  All that I have to carry with me, less the back pack which has everything, is my water supply, in the form of a whole pack of water bottles from Costco in my car.  It was actually one of the first thoughts in my mind about how I am ok if the earthquake is a precursor to a larger earthquake (always the rumor mills roving).  Also of a great concern for the Eastern Seaboard is Hurricane Irene which is strengthening and can cause destruction where ever she decides to land.  State and local officials are saying to have a 3 day kit prepared, and while I have had preparations, this year I am fully prepared.  It's a nice feeling.  I just filled my vehicle with fuel.  I'm set.


Overall, interesting experience.  One for the journals.  The floor moved for a few seconds.  Another item off the bucket list.  And comfort given.  Earthquake kicked, now on to Irene.  Bring it! 

No comments:

Post a Comment